Blog - Blog
To all the moms out there: you can do it. If I can do it, so can you.
After spending years learning, connecting and growing with other female entrepreneurs, I’m so proud to announce that I’ve been nominated for the Mompreneur Award of Distinction and have made it to the final top 30 out of 1250 amazing women. It’s been a humbling experience to have been nominated for such an award.
The Mompreneur Awards are so much more than just an award ceremony. Its entity empowers mother entrepreneurs to stand together and build each other up through positive reinforcement, mentorship, inspiration and impact in our communities. Every mother nominated for these awards has sacrificed something, whether it be time with their children or spouse, their alone time (which let’s be real, is equally as important), or 8 hours of sleep. But at the end of the day, we have the same thing in common, we do it for ourselves and our families.
I’d be foolish and dishonest by saying it has been an easy journey. Raising three boys isn’t an easy task while trying to grow my own business. There have been days where I catch myself thinking:
“Why am I doing this?”
“Is this worth it?”
“Will I fail?”
I was able to set those negative thoughts aside for the better. My boys quickly put on their own entrepreneurial caps. They also became my number one cheerleaders. They’ve done various jobs throughout the years to support me like packing up boxes for deliveries and selling at demos. The point is, moms will always support their children. In turn, our children choose to support us.
I started Torill’s Table in 2010 and so it’s time that I pass along some knowledge I’ve gained throughout the years. I hope that my top five tips for busy moms will give other mompreneurs some inspiration to take that first step towards their goals.
My top five tips for mompreneurs:
- Have a solid business plan. Planning has never set me astray. Get real with yourself and map out your finances, goals and create a complete business plan. You’ll thank me later!
- If you aren’t passionate about it; don’t bother. I think this one speaks for itself. You won’t find me opening an art studio any time soon.
- Surround yourself with good people. This includes friends, family, mentors and peers. Lean on your friends and family when you need them. Ask your mentors and peers for help. Not only does it give you knowledge and power, but it also develops their leadership skills.
- Believe in yourself. Cliché and for a reason. If you don’t believe in yourself, neither will anyone else. Not only is it important to learn from your mistakes early on, reflect and look at other business owners and what they’ve done.
- “I don’t have time” is a choice. I don’t have time isn’t in my vocabulary, and it shouldn’t be a part of yours either. If you don’t have time for something, it isn’t a priority now. “I don’t have time to make dinner.” No, you do, but spending an hour at your daughter’s gymnastics class is taking priority over a conference call. See what I mean? It’s a mindset that is necessary.
In closing, the winners of the 2019 Mompreneur Awards will be held on March 1-2 at the 2019 National Mompreneurs Conference in Toronto. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the anonymous nomination and thank you again for your continued support.
From my table to yours,
About Mompreneur® Showcase Group Inc.
Mompreneurs® Mompreneur Showcase Group Inc. (TheMompreneur.com) is the trusted national network that supports, educates, and empowers female entrepreneurs across Canada. With a team expanding across Canada, they boast a collective of over 18,000 members and subscribers and an online community over 80,000 strong. @TheMompreneurTM